No Bake Choco-Coffee Protein Bites
I’ve been wanting to try out no-bake protein bites for a while now and decided to finally give it a whirl. I love adding a bit of coffee into my protein shakes after the gym to give me a little boost while I re-fuel.
So why not use the same idea and put a little coffee in my protein bites? What’s better than a quick snack that will fill you up and give you energy in multiple ways?
These no bake choco-coffee protein bites combine protein powder and coffee grounds for just the right amount of umph to jumpstart you any time of the day. I mean, I’d gladly sit and eat handfuls of jalapeno potato chips all day but let’s be honest that’s not doing anything to help my body out. Especially after a grueling workout.
I swapped out oats like most protein ball recipes seem to call for, for puffed millet. One, because I still had leftover puffed millet from my cooking day with August FitShowgirl Spotlight Minnie Tonka. But also because living in an area of Brooklyn that has yet to become too gentrified (thank goodness), finding gluten-free oats in my grocery store is almost impossible.
I grabbed a couple of these out of the fridge yesterday morning and handed one to the bear, I mean boyfriend, and he’s been trying to bribe me to make more ever since. My point is that while these will store in the fridge for up to one week, I doubt they will last that long. I’ve been grabbing one when I wake up and then another before I head out of the house everyday.
Here are the nutrition stats from myfitnesspal per ball based on the ingredients I used: Puffed Millet, Gym Vixen Sexy Whey Chocolate Protein Powder, Hazelnut Creme coffee grounds, Dutch Cocoa, Brads Organic Roasted Almond Butter & basic honey bear honey
Calories: 147, Fat: 7.9g, Sodium: 9.4mg, Carbs: 14.4g, Protein: 6.4g
- 1 3/4 cups of puffed millet
- 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder
- 2 tbsp ground coffee - try hazelnut for added flavor
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup of honey
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add in almond butter and honey and mix together with rubber spatula until a dough like consistency is formed
- Use large spoon or ice cream scoop to measure out 1-1/2 inch balls.
- Roll into circles in hands and place on wax paper in tupperware container
- Store in fridge for up to one week - but I doubt they will last that long!
- *if you have a hard time getting the dry ingredients to mix with the honey and almond butter try putting in the microwave for 15-30 seconds to help soften.